Blog Archive

Monday, March 06, 2006

Political Doings

It's primary season in Chicago and the 6th district state rep race (mine) is hotter than most this year. Our former state rep, Patricia Bailey was forced out of the seat when it was discovered she didn't live in the district. I think I mentioned before that the person appointed to take her place is someone I know from Neighborhood Housing Services.

So, State Representative Esther Golar (D-6) has at least three challengers, none of whom I'd ever heard of before. Her campaign office is around the corner from my house, so I've been in to address envelopes, etc. While I was there Saturday, Esther herself came by in the middle of the afternoon, after a morning of door knocking. Within five minutes, she was mopping the white-tiled office floor.

"We've got to keep this looking nice," she said.

I teased her. "Esther, how many state reps do you know who mop their own office floors?"

"Not many," she said with a smile.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share