Blog Archive

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dorothy Returns

Time did not permit me to fulfill my non-promise to Dorothy about getting diapers or a 7-day el pass. I stayed at home today and worked until 3 p.m., then jumped on my bike and went to an event at Marquette Park, also for work.

By the time I got home it was nearly 8 p.m. From the earlier rains, my bike seat was wet and so was my butt. I sure wasn't going to the store now, but neither that nor the drizzle was going to stop Dorothy from coming back.

Maybe she won't ring if there are no lights on, I thought. So I ate my take-out falafel sandwich in the dark.

It was no good. Despite the pitch-black first floor, the doorbell still rang. I looked through the peephole. Yep, it was Dorothy. Go away, go away. a little voice in my head chanted. She rang the bell again.

Oh, hell. I dug my wallet out of my raincoat. I had broken a ten for the sandwich, so I gave her the five. "I didn't go to the store today, I was working. But at least you can get to your meeting tomorrow," I told her.

She asked me if I had stashed any diapers for her from before. I hadn't. Then she told me she soiled her pants this morning on her way somewhere.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I wish I had some to give you. This is a hard month for me."
I already forgot what she said as she was leaving. But I'm sure she'll be back again, well before any new income makes its way to my wallet.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share