Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday Via Crucis



Our neighborhood puts a lot of effort into Good Friday, partly because it's such a big deal in Catholicism, especially Latin American Catholicism, partly because the spirituality of suffering is so important in a neighborhood like ours.

Holy Cross/IHM held a via crucis (way of the cross) in the morning up at the north end of the neighborhood, then the folks from Port Ministries held one from noon to 3 p.m. in the southern part of the area. The photo above was taken at the corner of 51st and Ashland, where they held the second station.


The photo below was taken later, along 50th Street west of Ashland:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your pics. I use to live on 52nd & Justine. I grew up there and moved in 1972 when I got married. My childhood home is gone & I can never go back - I use to shop on 47th & Ashland and my first job was at Meyer Bros. My mom lived on 47th & Paulina when she first married. Thank you for all the memories. Kathy C in Antioch, IL katydid60002@yahoo.com

Maritza said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog, Kathy. There's a Famsa (Mexican furniture store) that just opened inside the old Goldblatt's at 47th and Ashland. They are also talking about putting in a Bally's there.

Windy Citizen Share