I don't think I've yet posted about the grand opening of a Famsa furniture store in the first floor of the former Goldblatt's building at 47th and Ashland. The Famsa chain is based in Monterrey, Mexico and has other operations in the U.S.
I first noticed it last week, and stopped in last Saturday night to see what all the fuss was about. It's certainly very pretty. I wonder if it's too pricey for people here in the neighborhood, and whether it will draw people here from other neighborhoods or not. They have appliances, furniture and some electronics--like TV and stereo equipment. They had a few laptops on display but they don't sell printers. Too bad. I would have bought one.
They play music through speakers outside the store. Last week I liked it. I just went by a while back and this time I thought it was too loud. Well, I'm not their target demographic, for sure. Loud or no, I hope the tanking economy doesn't take them under. We'll see.
- ► 2009 (82)
- Final Halloween Plan
- November 8 Community Forum to End Violence
- Safe Halloween Options Nearby
- High School Admissions Counseling
- Backyard Mayhem
- Them That Has, Gets
- A Happy October Surprise
- Halloween Prep Begins
- Halloween Preparations May Begin Saturday
- Safe Halloween Planned for Back of the Yards
- Taking Back the Hood, One Sidewalk Square at a Tim...
- A Whale of a Tale
- Littlest Brady Boy Gets Baptized
- Goldblatt's Building Reopens as Furniture Store
- Prison Letters 2: Dorothy's Dilemma
- Prison Letters I
- Picasso Loses a Brother
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2007 (142)
- ► 2006 (105)