Sorry to rehash old news here, but I just found this great WBEZ piece from June about how drastically CAPS beat meeting attendance has fallen since 2002. Both the story and the comments below make excellent points about how people do not trust police officers, how gang members' friends and families attend CAPS meetings and thus silence real discussion with officers, and how recent cuts are likely to make the situation worse. You can also see the contrast between police service in West Town and in South Chicago on display in the comments section.
I'm just now trying to get in touch with the CAPS implementation office--I have a contact email but not a phone number. Well, thanks to CLEARpath and a few minutes of digging, I now have a number: 312-747-9987. But now they're asking me for my party's extension and there doesn't seem to be a way to leave a general message. It's now awfully close to 5 p.m. on a Friday in July, so I can't say I'm surprised. Will have to try again next week.
- Bradys at the Beach, Plus Block Party Update
- Block Party Drama?
- Hoops on Marshfield A Rousing Success
- Hoops on Marshfield Tomorrow Night
- Update on Ashland Avenue Streetlights & Friday Nig...
- Is CAPS Going the Way of the Dodo?
- What's up with the Streetlights in Back of the Yar...
- This Week's Vegetable Winner
- Camp Marshfield Goes Mobile, Part II
- Camp Marshfield Goes Mobile, Part I
- ▼ July (10)
- ► 2008 (217)
- ► 2007 (142)
- ► 2006 (105)