Monday, May 14, 2007

Mrs. Ribs Takes Over Chicago

My neighbor across the street, whom some of you know as Mrs. Ribs for her amazing barbecue, is also one of the unsung heroes of the recent aldermanic elections. She's a member of UNITE/HERE, who worked with SEIU on a number of aldermanic campaigns. Mrs. Ribs herself led a team of 12 people who knocked on doors all over the near west side in the Fioretti/Haithcock contest. She says she did some knocking for Joann Thompson, too, though I guess not on our block.

Apparently she was on Channel 2 and in the papers on runoff election night at the big party at Buddy Guy's. She goes by her maiden name for her political work, so if I saw her quoted I didn't realize it was her.

Apparently her whole ambition in this boils down to one thing--getting herself a dedicated parking space in front of her house. "I put in all that work for her, least she can do is do something for me," she said as we were walking down the street earlier today. (We were trying to go to the CAPS meeting, but nobody was there. What's up with that? Stay tuned.)

I didn't have the heart to explain that I don't think Joann Thompson can help her with that one, since nobody in her house is handicapped.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share