Well, I finally faced up to the soggy boxes in my basement this weekend. Yesterday afternoon and this morning I surveyed the wreckage. It was worse than I thought. Pretty much everything directly on the floor was wet and moldy. I've tossed most of it. There was one dry patch toward the basement windows where some boxes survived wet-free, and boxes atop other boxes seem to have fared OK.
I lost one suitcase full of clothes-mostly t-shirts, a few seem salvageable and are drying out in my back yard, but mostly it was a lot of old papers and journals.
They say if you haven't opened or looked in a box in over a year, you should throw it out sight unseen. Although I peeked in a couple of them, many were so far gone I didn't bother looking. Perhaps getting rid of that stuff is the silver lining from those crazy rain clouds.
- ► 2009 (82)
- Tattler Takes A Vacation, for Real
- Jumping Jim's Juice
- Junior Gets Organized
- Peace and Education Coalition Launches New Web Sit...
- Happier Joey News
- Joey's IEP
- Holy Cross/IHM's Letter to McCain and Obama
- Pride of Baghdad takes Marshfield Avenue by Storm
- After the Deluge
- Brighton Park Shout Out
- Pride on Marshfield Avenue
- Tattler's on HuffPost Chicago
- SRO Crowd for "Salud"
- Quick Hits
- Deluge and a North Side Vacation
- 'This is a GOOD block party'
- ▼ August (16)
- ► 2007 (142)
- ► 2006 (105)