Blog Archive

Monday, August 25, 2008

Happier Joey News

I picked up a book in Borders last week, not knowing whether it was for Joey or Picasso. It's the first book in some Korean anime-style series (they have a different word for it which I no longer remember). This one was bloody and gory but left out the naked girls than were in some of the others I flipped through, so I thought their moms wouldn't get mad if they found it lying around the house.

Since I helped Picasso convince his mom it was OK to let him go do some graffiti over by 36th and Kedzie, he hasn't been as bored and antsy. Joey is still going batty even though school has started for him, so I gave him the anime book this afternoon. He was sitting out front talking on a cell phone when I came out and left the book on the step for him.

Later I asked him if he liked it and he said, "Yes" with the happy smile that reminded me my old buddy Joey is still in that teenage boy somewhere. This from the guy who told me a few months ago, "I don't like books." (I know you don't like most books, Joey, but I'm going to keep an eye out for that rare book you might actually like despite yourself.)

I might go buy a copy of Pride of Baghdad for him. If I give him a library copy it will probably get lost in their house and then I'll have to pay a gigantic fine, so I might as well buy it outright from the start.

Joey's birthday was last week and I missed it. Dawn's was earlier in August and I haven't even seen her. Jeez, that's pretty bad.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share