There were some interesting outsiders in attendance at tonight's Big Picture Open House: Univision, WBEZ, Catalyst Chicago, Marvin Garcia from Alternative Schools Network, Mike and Susan Klonsky from the Small Schools Workshop, Emilio Carrasquillo, new director of Neighborhood Housing Services for Back of the Yards/Garfield Boulevard, and Jesse Iniguez, candidate for 12th Ward Alderman. Overall, I'd guess between 80 and 100 people showed up.
More importantly, this time parents and teachers were circulating petitions and letters asking CPS to keep the school open. There will be a group going to Wednesday's school board meeting at 125 S. Clark Street. That's not all that lies ahead. It's time to pressure the aldermen, the state reps and every other power point that can be tapped.
I'm worried that now, when people are really ready to try, it may already be too late. But here we go.
- ► 2009 (82)
- ► 2008 (217)
- Cranium Challenge
- Julian Gets Lucky/Big Picture Goes to Church
- Busy Saturday Night
- Won a Skirmish in Graffiti Wars
- Big Picture Goes to Clark Street
- Big Picture in the Press
- Big Picture, Test Scores, and Life after High Scho...
- Open House Draws a Crowd
- Big Picture Open House Jan 18, Part II
- Open House at Big Picture Jan 18
- The San Miguel Visit
- Bring your A Game, Arenda
- Yup-Yup latest
- Troutman in Handcuffs!
- Graffiti Wars Rage On
- An Open Letter to Arne Duncan
- Joey's First El Ride & An Experiment
- ▼ January (17)
- ► 2006 (105)