Blog Archive

Monday, January 21, 2008

Demolition and Construction

The storefront on the northwest corner of 50th and Ashland was demolished sometime last week. Yesterday I was on the Ashland bus with my head in a magazine and didn't even look up until I got off at that corner. "Am I at 51st?" I thought, because it didn't look right. The emptiness of the lot had entered my awareness, making me think I was at the next block south.

Then I looked up and found myself staring at a pile of broken boards, with a bulldozer parked next to the pile. I was thinking about going back to take a picture but I may not have time before I have to get on the road again this week.

Meanwhile, interior work continues on the Goldblatt's building at Ashland and 47th. I still don't know what's going in there, exactly, or if I did, I forgot. If any local readers know what's happening on either site, please comment and fill us in.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share