Around 4:45 on Sunday 9/21, I was at a birthday party for a six-year-old on the 4800 block of South Marshfield. Just as I was leaving the party to travel to another party over in Hyde Park, a series of six gunshots went off somewhere to the northeast. They were really loud, so clearly quite close. Then a blue van came screaming down 48th, westbound, closely followed by an unmarked police car flashing lights and wailing its sirens.
The driver of the van clearly didn't know the neighborhood; the van turned north onto Marshfield, which dead-ends at 47th. Right now there's construction so it is even harder than usual to get through. So we all saw the cops catch the van and whoever was in it. I have no idea whether anyone was hit by the gunfire.
Update 9/25: I heard tonight at the NHS barbecue that the shots last Sunday were from an AK-47, and that a second automatic weapon was involved. Yikes. I was also told the police captured one AK but the other is still out there somewhere.
- ► 2009 (82)
- Books for Big Picture
- Dodgeball out Back
- Joey Gets Busted
- Book Fair
- NHS Bilingual Homeownership Center Grand Opening
- Perspectives Math & Science Grand Opening
- Gunshots Near 48th and Ashland
- The Puzzle of Picasso
- Back to School Update and a Philanthropic Idea
- Apology and Update
- New Youth Activities at Holy Cross/IHM
- CAPS meeting Monday night
- Joey & Picasso's Joint Artwork
- Streets & San Spotted on Marshfield
- ▼ September (14)
- ► 2007 (142)
- ► 2006 (105)