Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Big Picture College Essays

This is the second year in a row I've spent some time over at Big Picture, helping seniors write and revise their college essays. Today a few students gave permission for excerpts of their work to be shared on this blog. The students decided for themselves how they wanted to be identified. Pseudonyms are in quotation marks.

From Alejandra Garcia, who is applying to Columbia College:

I am very passionate about interior design. I know when I see something and it's a "wow" moment for me, that someone put a lot of time and effort into what they did. It's about using your passion and your resources to the best of your ability.

Most people tell me this passion came from my family. They say, "It's in the blood." My dad has worked as a carpenter for 40 years and is always trying to come up with new designs. Based on his designs and the color of the wood, I redecorated my room over the summer.



From "Daniela," who transferred from a large neighborhood high school to Big Picture and has already won one scholarship:

Everybody should have access to higher education, regardless of their income, if they have the character, the motivation and the desire to learn new concepts.

...

During my first three years of high school, I felt like I was unprepared to make a commitment to my education; however, this has changed. I am currently enrolled at a non-traditional high school with a very different curriculum. It haas given me the opportunity to develop my interests and passions while serving my community through real-world experiences.

From Omaar, who is applying for a Golden Apple Scholarship:

I want to become a teacher because my parents' and teachers' hard work to educate me paid off. Not only do I want to repay them, I want to share. By becoming a teacher I will share not only my knowledge but my empathy with students; what I mean by this is not giving up, having hope in even the most troublesome human being.

I hope to have more of these up between now and Christmas.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share