Last night I found out Fr. Bruce at Holy Cross wrote a response to the Trib editorial about the shooting of Leticia Barrera. Here's a little of what he said:
Your editorial blames residents of the Back of the Yards neighborhood for violence on its streets, for not speaking out against the gangs, for not cooperating with police in identifying gang members or those who are responsible for the tragic shooting of a pregnant mother on Halloween. You couldn't be more off the mark.
You think people here are "silent lambs"? You're wrong. To catch the guilty we work with police, not Tribune reporters or editorial writers. And to dissuade our young from joining gangs, we don't publicize the gang names because we know that publicity feeds their egos. You printed the names of two street gangs in your editorial. Shame on you.
For more, check out this link.
In our conversation, another person present pointed out that since the shooters likely crossed 47th to enter opposing territory, it's quite possible neighbors on the block really don't know the shooters at all.
- ► 2009 (82)
- ► 2008 (217)
- 2007 Year in Review
- Marshfield Mom of the Year
- Heard on the Ashland Bus
- Good Book News
- Memorial Vigil Tomorrow
- Christmas Gifts for Neighbors
- Squatter House Boarded Up
- District 299 Tips on High School Hunting
- Science Fair Today
- Nice White Lady
- Last-Minute Science Fair Project
- Aqui Estoy Gets Sun-Times Rave
- Back of the Yards Meets Albany Park
- Big Picture College Essays
- Things Could be Worse for Undocumented Students
- Quick Updates
- Baby Shower
- Response to Trib Editorial
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2006 (105)