Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The ISAT Is Coming

This year's ISAT testing will run March 3-14. Make that March 4 here in Chicago, since we all love Pulaski Day.

I just realized that might have something to do with why two parents I don't know so well approached me in the last week about tutoring their kids. They seemed like they wanted to set up regular gigs, and I'm not able to be very regular about homework help. I gave one mom a couple of numbers to programs I know of in the neighborhood: The Mantle and Holy Cross.

The dad seemed like he wanted to look for some counseling for his son, too. UIC's Mile Square Health Center will be opening a clinic here in the neighborhood very soon, and it will have mental health services, I understand. When I know more, I'll post more. I know his kid better, so we'll see if he wants to bring homework over some time when I am more free than I am this week.

If either of these parents thought I could work a miracle for their kids on the ISAT, they are sadly mistaken. One of them is in danger of failing, apparently. The parent was just up at school recently and got the word.

I know the board has material for parents of kids in 3rd, 6th and 8th grade about testing, and I know some schools and some neighborhoods break it down for parents at least a little earlier in the year than this. I'll have to remember this for next year. Maybe this would be a way to get people together for coffee--here's what you need to know about school this year.

No comments:

Windy Citizen Share